Fleece (one color for the frosting and another for the liner)
Polyester fiberfil stuffing
Thread & sewing machine
Embroidery thread and needle
Cupcake pattern (Click HERE for free pattern)
Notes: Seam allowance is already added to the pattern, sew all seams at 1/4″.
Finished cupcake measures approx. 7″ tall (Not including pom pom).
1. Cut out your pattern and outline the pieces on to the fabric.
2. Fold fabric over so that there are 4 layers of fabric and pin.
3. This way you can cut out all 4 pieces at the same time.
4. Do the same with the cupcake liner pieces, cut a few together to save time cutting all 19 pieces.
5. Place 2 frosting pieces on top of each other and sew a 1/4″ seam.
6. Place the third piece of frosting under the pieces you just sewed together making sure that the wrong side is facing up and sew a 1/4″ seam.
7. Do the same for the last piece of the frosting.
8. Fold the frosting in half with right sides facing each other.
9. Pin and sew.
10. Now you should have something that looks like a little hat.
11. Thread your embroidery needle.
12. Insert the needle through the back (wrong side) of the frosting and pull through.
13. For the colorful sprinkles we are going to be making french knots. Wrap the embroidery thread over the needle.
14. Wrap the thread over again.
15. And wrap it over a third time.
16. Pull the thread gently to get the needle and thread as close as possible to the fleece and then slide the needle until the thread is almost at the tip of the needle.
17. Now insert the needle right next to the hole where it came up from and pull through.
18. You have made a sprinkle (french knot)
19. Knot the thread at the back and cut it.
20. To make the chocolate sprinkles bring the needle and thread through the back.
21. Insert the needle back into the fleece to make a stitch and pull through.
22. Continue making sprinkles until you have enough and you are happy with the way they look. Try placing them as random as possible so they look better.
23. Now to make the cupcake liner. Place two of the pieces together.
24. And sew.
25. Place a piece of the liner under the two pieces you just sewed.
26. Making sure that the wrong side is facing up sew the third piece.
27. This is what it should look like after you have sewn all 19 pieces.
28. Fold the liner in half with right sided facing each other.
29. And sew.
30. Now you should have something like this.
31. Sew around the bottom edge of the frosting with the longest stitch leaving a small gap. When you cut the thread make sure you to leave them long.
32. Now put the frosting inside the liner with right sides facing each other, at this point the frosting is a little wider then the liner.
33. Pull the long thread on the frosting from step 31.
34. Pulling the thread will gather the fabric.
35. Gather the frosting fabric enough so that it will be the same size as the liner.
36. Spread the gather evenly and pin.
37. Sew all around.
38. Now to sew the bottom piece!
39. Pin the bottom of the cupcake.
40. Sew around leaving a 1.5″ gap to turn the cupcake right side out.
41. Turn the cupcake right side out.
42. Now you can stuff your cupcake!
43. To close the gap insert the needle from the inside out.
44. Neatly tuck in the raw edges.
45. Grab some fabric from the top with the needle.
46. Now grab some fabric from the bottom.
47. Continue grabbing fabric from the top and bottom until you reach the end and it looks like this.
48. Pull the needle through
49. To add the pom pom place the needle in the fabric like shown below.
50. Pull the needle but don’t pull all the way through. Catch the end knot and pull through.
51. Insert the needle in the pom pom.
52. Push the pom pom close to the frosting.
53. Make a stitch at the top.
54. Make sure to catch the frosting fabric .
55. Make a knot under the pom pom.
And now you are done making a very cute and easy cupcake! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and pattern 🙂